Follow these eight simple rules to greatly improve your chances of becoming a law enforcement officer.
- Pursue higher education – advanced education expands understanding and develops critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Develop special skills – learn CPR, first aid, life-saving, computer programming, or other skills that demonstrate initiative and are applicable to public service;
- Engage in community service – volunteering with youth or civic groups shows a commitment to public service;
Be a dependable employee – demonstrate responsibility by working hard and faithfully;
- Avoid unlawful behavior – thefts, drug use, and other illegal acts may exclude individuals from acquiring positions of public trust;
- Drive responsibly – a history of motor vehicle accidents and/or violations may compromise a candidate’s eligibility for employment;
- Avoid drugs and alcohol – the use of these substances is contrary to mature and responsible judgment; and
- Keep fit – physical conditioning will improve work performance, enhance health, and reduce stress.
For more information on joining the City of Fort Lauderdale Police Department, please call 954-828-FLPD
How To Apply - Instructions on how to create an account and complete an online application.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is an equal opportunity employer.