POLICE OFFICER (NON-CERTIFIED)
ATTENTION: We are NOW ACCEPTING
applications for our Non-Certified
Police Officer Applicants
STARTING SALARY: Minimum salary of $61,734.40 while attending the Broward College Institute of Public Safety Police Academy
SALARY: Minimum salary of $61,734.40 - $95,305.60 (10 annual step increases after completion of original probationary period)
The Good News:
The Fort Lauderdale Police Department will sponsor Non-Certified Candidates through the Police Academy. Not only will you be sponsored, the academy will be paid for by us and you will also receive your full starting salary while attending the Police Academy.
To apply for employment as a Non-Certified Police Officer, you must:
1. Watch the "Police Officer Applicant" video that previews the position of a Fort Lauderdale Police Officer. This video provides important information concerning the job's requirements and other information about the hiring process. After watching the video you MUST meet the following minimum qualifications at the time of application.
2. Be a United States citizen (U.S. born or naturalized).
3. Have a U.S. high school education, General Education Development (GED) or equivalent, which includes United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) tests. Equivalence of Non-U.S. education must be approved by the State of Florida's Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (If a degree was acquired in a country other than the United States, evidence of equivalence from a recognized agency must be provided.)
4. Be at least 21 years of age.
5. Must have completed at least sixty (60) semester credit hours toward an advanced degree (2-year degree or higher) from an accredited private or public institution that is accepted by the city, with a minimum G.P.A. of at least a 2.0. (Copy of transcript must be provided.)
NOTE: The college semester credit hour requirement may be waived for U.S. Military personnel who have at least two (2) years of active duty service and an honorable discharge. This requirement may also be waived for certified police officers with two (2) years of police service (Does Not Include Corrections).
6. Possess a valid Florida driver's license within 30 days of appointment.
7. Shall be non-user of tobacco products which include, but may not be limited to cigarettes, e-cigarettes or vapor cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco of any kind at all times (whether on or off duty).
8. Must have completed all of the required testing at the Broward College Institute of Public Safety.
Thank you for showing an interest in the career opportunities offered at the Fort Lauderdale Police Department.
Once you have submitted your on-line application and the required supplemental documents, the testing and hiring process can move as swiftly as 12 weeks but may take up to 6 months. How well an applicant performs during each phase of the process will determine how quickly he or she will progress.
First things First, have you taken the required testing
at Broward College Institute of Public Safety??
The Required Testing Consists of-
Basic Motor Skills Test (BMST) – Pass (MUST be taken at the Broward College Institute of Public Safety) Valid- 6 months.
Swim Test - Pass (MUST be taken at the Broward College Institute of Public Safety) No Expiration
CJBAT- Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (FBAT is not accepted) Valid- 4 years
For more information on the BMST, visit HERE. This booklet contains information on the tasks performed during the test. You are encouraged to read through this booklet carefully and contact the Broward College Criminal Justice Testing Center if you have any questions regarding their testing process. Candidates are responsible for all fees and costs associated with completing this test.
The City of Fort Lauderdale will accept passing BMST scores for six (6) months from the date of the most recent examination. BMST scores received independently from the applicant outside of the Broward College Criminal Justice Testing Center cannot be used to substitute for any part of our examination process.
For Registration and Testing Schedule at Broward College Criminal Justice Testing Center visit HERE All applicants MUST submit documentation providing proof of successful completion of the areas listed below. This documentation must be attached to the on-line application submitted for the position of Police Officer.
Applications received without this supporting documentation are considered
incomplete and will not be processed.
NOTE: The BMST, Swim and CJBAT must be completed prior to submitting an
**HOW TO APPLY AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR
YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION**
(1) BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND/OR NATURALIZATION PAPERS - A birth certificate may be submitted as proof of United States citizenship. If you are a naturalized citizen of the United States of America, you must submit a copy of your naturalization papers as proof of your citizenship or a United States of America passport.
(2) HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR CERTIFICATE OF EQUIVALENT EDUCATION - Possession of a GED anywhere other than the State of Florida or graduation from the USAFI is acceptable only if accompanied by an official high school transcript with final grades. If a degree was acquired in a country other than the United States, evidence of equivalence from a recognized agency must be provided.
(3) COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS- Must have completed at least 60 semester credit hours toward an Associate's degree or higher from an accredited private or public institution that is accepted by the city, with a minimum G.P.A of 2.0. A college transcript is required. *Exceptions exist for prior law enforcement (Not Including Corrections) and Military service
(4) DD214 MILITARY RELEASE FORM - MEMBER 4 COPY (if applicable) – When submitting the DD214 form, make sure that it shows type of separation and character of service. Supporting documentation will not be accepted without this information.
(5) CITY OF FORT LAUDERDALE VETERAN’S PREFERENCE CLAIM FORM - (if applicable) (form J204) - This form must be completed and accompany your original on-line application in order to receive Veteran’s preference points on the final register.
(6)DRIVER’S LICENSE – Applicants must also ATTACH a copy of a valid driver’s license with their on-line application. Information regarding your driving history is also required with the submission of your application, driver history record and the pre-job offer questionnaire.
(7) Driving History Record - You must also ATTACH to your online application an official certified copy of your “Complete” driver history record from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles or documentation showing that you have formally made this request. Please note if you have held a driver’s license, or are holding a driver’s license, in more than one state, a certified copy of your “Complete” driver history record must be provided for each state in which a license has been held, if offered by the authorizing agency in that state.
Information on how to obtain your Florida Driving History please click HERE
Pre-Job Offer Questionnaire (PJQ) – The applicant must list on the PJQ ALL violations (moving and non-moving), tickets, accidents (reported and unreported), and suspensions, even if this information is not included on the “Complete” driver history record from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Failure to disclose this information regarding your driving history will be grounds for removing the candidate from the testing process.
(8) PRE-JOB QUESTIONNAIRE (PJQ form) – The PJQ will be reviewed during the preliminary background review of your application packet and at several stages throughout the selection process, including your oral board interview and background investigation. In answering this questionnaire, absolute honesty is important. Exaggerated, misleading or false statements will eliminate the candidate from the employment process. Please be sure to double-check your responses on the PJQ to ensure that your answers are accurate and complete. Please note the PJQ WILL NOT be accepted in person or by fax or mail
This document MUST be completed in it's entirety by the applicant and submitted with the on-line application. It is strongly recommended that you First Save the PJQ either on your hard drive or on another similar storage device then complete it. The reason for that is because sometimes after filling out the PJQ, people have told us, that when they go to upload the document or print the document it is blank. Then they have to fill the whole thing out again. It is suggested to complete the PJQ first before filling out an application on-line so that the PJQ is readily available to upload as an attachment with your on-line application. Failure to submit a complete and accurate questionnaire at the time of the on-line application will result in your application being disapproved. There will be NO exceptions. NO blank spaces are accepted on the PJQ. Please enter N/A in all inapplicable fields.
Attention MAC Users: A Mac file or Mac-formatted disk cannot be read by a PC. As a result, please refrain from using the MAC application "Previewer" function when saving your Pre-Job Questionnaire (PJQ).
In order for your questionnaire to be reviewed by our agency, it must be saved in an appropriate format, such as Microsoft Word for Windows document (*.doc) or converted to a Microsoft Word for PDF file. PJQs submitted in any other format are not visible for application screening purposes and, unfortunately, will not be accepted. The PJQ will not be accepted in person or by fax or mail.
The PJQ form can be downloaded here.
Please note information WILL NOT be accepted in person or by fax, mail or telephone.
For more detailed information regarding our requirements, click here.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is an equal opportunity employer.