Thank you for showing an interest in the career opportunities offered at the Fort Lauderdale Police Department.
FLPD is currently accepting applications for both Certified and Non-Certified Police
Officers. If you are out of state, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section
for more information on the process.
GREAT NEWS!!! The certified police officer application period is open continuously
and the non-certified officer application period has been Extended until 11/30/2018.
It is recommended that you do not delay in the preparation and submission of your
application if you intend to apply for a non-certified police officer position.
You might be asking yourself what is the difference between Certified and
A Certified Applicant is a person who meets one of the requirements below:
- Possess a valid Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Police Officer Certification. - Must provide a copy of certification.
- Possess a certification from another Federal or State Law Enforcement Agency
- (Can be from another state besides Florida) and worked as a full-time Police
- Officer for at least one (1) year (excluding police academy training hours.)
- – Must provide State certification and academy training curriculum.
- Completed an Equivalency of Academy Training program approved by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. – Must provide copy of certification.
A Non-Certified Applicant has yet to meet any of these requirements.
The Good News: The Fort Lauderdale Police Department will sponsor Non-Certified Candidates through the Police Academy. Not only will you be sponsored, we will pay for the academy and you will also receive your full starting salary while attending the Police Academy.
For information on the application process click on Join The Team in the Left-Side Navigation Bar.
Not quite ready to apply at this time? To be notified when we are accepting applications for Non-Certified Police Officer positions beyond the 8/13/2018 closing date, please fill out a Job Interest Card with the City of Fort Lauderdale Human Resources by clicking the link below.
Ensure that you check the "Law Enforcement" box in the Select Category section of the card.
For additional information please contact FLPD Recruiters, Detective Eric Perez, or Detective Benard Beck-O'Steen at (954) 828-FLPD (3573), or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is an equal opportunity employer.
Preparing for the Academy
You can download the Broward College Law Enforcement and Corrections Academy Physical Fitness Preparation Guide, located here: Physical Fitness Preparation Guide
Please take some time to review the following videos to understand the physical requirements while attending the Academy.