Fort Lauderdale Police Department’s LGBT Liaison Officer
Officer Jacqueline Sanchez
Fort Lauderdale is home to one of the largest Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and
Transgender (LGBT) communities in the country. Therefore, the Fort Lauderdale
Police Department actively seeks to understand its LGBT community’s needs to
ensure fair and equitable representation for all of our neighbors. The LGBT Liaison
Officer strengthens the relationship between the LGBT community and the Fort
Lauderdale Police Department by creating mutual trust and confidence in the Police
through community involvement, departmental education, and the provision of fair
and professional policing services.
What is the function of the LGBT Liaison Officer?
The Fort Lauderdale LGBT Liaison Officer:
- Serves as a personal, single point of contact between the Fort Lauderdale Police Department and the LGBT community
- Assists, advises, and consults with the Fort Lauderdale Police Department leadership and other officers on cases involving the LGBT community or LGBT issues
- Provides training for members of the department on LGBT topics
- Meets with and provides a forum for business owners, community groups, and individuals of the LGBT community, and presents information on relevant law enforcement issues
- Provides a forum for the LGBT community to express its concerns regarding crimes directed against the LGBT community
- Attends events in the LGBT community as a representative of the Fort Lauderdale Police Department
- Collaborates with community leaders, residents and businesses to design and implement public safety projects and programs to establish a closer, more effective dialogue between the police and the LGBT community
- Identifies and attends training related to LGBT topics
- Facilitates an overall open relationship between the LGBT community and the Fort Lauderdale Police Department
- Serves as a resource to families with a “questioning” member who is in need of social support services but does not know how or where to obtain them
LGBT-related organizations that are willing to provide a service, act as a resource, or are interested in having Fort Lauderdale Police Department LGBT Liaison attend their meeting should contact Officer Jacqueline Sanchez at 954-828-5700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.