A close look at the inner-workings of the City of Fort Lauderdale Police Department shows evidence of a police force that provides law enforcement and more.
Under the immediate direction of the Chief of Police there operates a unit known as the Legal Unit that not only represents the entire police force, but also provides the police department with the ability to assist in city ordinance and state legislation.
The Legal Unit, under the direction of Police Legal Advisor Bradley H. Weissman, provides the following services:
- Serves as a library of legal information by issuing legal bulletins on a continuous basis that updates and educates department personnel on recent court rulings and other issues concerning police matters.
- Provides legal advice to police personnel concerning state and federal statutes and municipal ordinances; serves as legal counsel to the Police Chief concerning departmental policies and legal issues.
- Represents the department at the Florida Association of Police Attorneys (an organization that meets quarterly to discuss police issues and legislative matters).
- Serves as a liaison with the Office of the State Attorney and other local and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Monitors, reviews and helps draft legislation as it relates to law enforcement issues.
- Litigates all forfeiture actions arising out of criminal cases.
- Represents the Police Department in all police related public records and replevin actions.
- Provides legal research at the request of the City Attorney for City Commission matters related to law enforcement.
All property seized under the authority of the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act is litigated and maintained by the Legal Unit.