2012 Fort Lauderdale Air Show
The 2012 Lauderdale Air Show, presented by B.Lilley Productions, LLC, is scheduled to take place on Fort Lauderdale Beach on Saturday, April 28th and Sunday, April 29th, 2012. This year the Lauderdale Air Show events will be curtailed from the previously held Air Shows, which the community is familiar with from past years. This year’s Air Show is scheduled to take place from 12:00 P.M. until 4:00 P.M. on Saturday and Sunday. (see attached 2012 Lauderdale Air Show Q & A document)
The Fort Lauderdale Police Department will head the public safety and security operations along with the assistance of multiple local, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies. Additional lifeguards and Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue personnel will be on site providing ocean safety and medical assistance. First Aid tents will be located throughout the main event area.
On Saturday and Sunday, from 7:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M., the main entrances to the beach area will be Oakland Park Boulevard, North of the Northeast 14th Court / North A1A road closure and South East 17 Street, South of the A1A/Vistamar Street closure.
• Only ticket holders will be permitted to enter the gate located at Northeast 14th Court and A1A. There will be a secured fence, from the sidewalk at Northeast 14th Court and A1A to the waterline, restricting general public / non-ticket holding spectators, from accessing the area.
• Spectators without tickets will be directed to the entrances located at East Sunrise Boulevard or Vistamar Street and A1A.
Motorists should only utilize East Sunrise Boulevard, East of North Federal Highway, during these hours (7:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.) for the following purposes:
• Residents of the area and their guests.
• Business owners and staff members of area businesses.
• Registered hotel guests and other area business patrons, to include Galleria Mall customers.
• Galleria Mall Air Show parking ($20 per vehicle, self-parking or $40 per vehicle, valet). Galleria Mall customer parking (free of charge).
• Handicap Parking is available for purchase ($20 per vehicle) at the Southeast corner of the Galleria Mall parking garage; this area can be accessed via Middle River Road and East Sunrise Boulevard.
• Pre-purchased VIP Parking in Birch State Park and Bonnet House parking lots (Must have Air Show Parking Passes Displayed).
Due to the limited availability of parking, Air Show spectators are welcome to commute to the show on their bicycles and utilize the complimentary Lauderdale Air Show Bicycle Valet, located near the entrance of Hugh Taylor Birch State Park.
Motorists utilizing all roadways on the barrier island and surrounding areas should anticipate heavy congestion and traffic delays.
Sun Trolley Services:
Sun Trolley will offer Air Show spectators a convenient and inexpensive transportation option to and from Fort Lauderdale beach during the Lauderdale Air Show.
Sun Trolley’s Las Olas route will operate from 9:30 A.M. - 8:00 P.M. on both Saturday and Sunday. The route runs from the Broward Center of the Performing Arts (Southwest 2nd Street and Southwest 5th Avenue) East to Southwest 1st Avenue; proceeds South on 1st Avenue to Las Olas Boulevard; and continues East on Las Olas Boulevard to Fort Lauderdale beach.
For complete Sun Trolley maps and routes, visit www.suntrolley.com
Due to the high volume of traffic expected for the Lauderdale Air Show, the Fort Lauderdale Police Department reminds motorists to park only in designated parking areas. Commuters are cautioned when parking along the residential neighborhoods, as any parking violations will be strictly enforced. In addition, Police officers will be stationed at all nearby main intersections to assist with vehicular traffic flow.
Lost Child Prevention Program:
The Fort Lauderdale Police and Fire Departments will be issuing wristbands for children up to age 12; free of charge. Parents and guardians are encouraged to bring their children to the Fort Lauderdale Police Mobile Command Vehicle, located at Sunrise Boulevard and Breakers Avenue or one of the Fort Lauderdale Fire Department fire trucks, which will be stationed at Northeast 14th Court / A1A and Vistamar Street / A1A.
This program allows for expedited reuniting of children with their parents, should they become separated. Parents are reminded to have discussions with their children, directing them to locate a uniformed police officer, fire rescue staff member or lifeguard should they become separated from their family.
Alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited inside the designated Drop Zone and Family Zone areas located at Show Center (Sunrise Blvd / A1A). There will be “Cooler Check Points” enforcing this requirement prior to entering those viewing areas.
Cooler Check Point Locations:
• Northeast 14th Street and State Road A1A (northern entrance to Show Center)
• Sunrise Boulevard and Breakers Avenue (main entrance to Show Center)
• Vistamar Street and State Road A1A (southern entrance to Show Center).
It is strongly recommended that if you intend to bring alcoholic beverages with you to the Lauderdale Air Show, you should enter the beach are using an alternate route other than Sunrise Boulevard. Any beverages should be in plastic, aluminum or other unbreakable containers. Glass containers are prohibited beachside.
Canopies are defined as tents without sides. Spectators are permitted to bring small canopies, no larger than 10x10, to the beach viewing area. These canopies are only permitted along the dune line of the beach, which is located along the concrete barrier wall.
Hotels and condos located outside the restricted Air Show viewing areas are asked to refrain from erecting any form of fencing or barrier device along the beach. This restriction is required in order to conform to regulations set by the Broward County Sea Turtle Conservation Program.
Miscellaneous Prohibited Items:
• No grills or open flame equipment, of any kind, will be permitted on the Fort Lauderdale beach.
• No kites of any type will be allowed.
• Bicycles, skateboards and roller blades are not allowed within the designated show areas. Bike racks will be provided at all three entrances.
Civilian watercraft must be outside the air show safety zone, which extends 4,000 feet offshore from show center at Sunrise Boulevard and A1A. The safety zone coordinates are as follows:
Northeast Corner: 26º10’34.13” N,
Northwest Corner: 26º10’38.41” N,
Southeast Corner: 26º7’14.74” N,
Southwest Corner: 26º7’19.56” N,
The safety zone will be marked by temporary buoys that will be in place from 11:00 A.M. Thursday, April 26th to 5:00 P.M. Sunday, April 29th, 2012.
For more details about the safety zone, visit www.lauderdaleairshow.com
Air Show Viewing Areas:
The main viewing area for the show will be referred to as “Show Center”. Show Center will be located from Sunrise Boulevard and State Road A1A to the 1400 block of State Road A1A. This area represents the central location for the aerial demonstrations. The Lauderdale Air Show promoter has designated various viewing areas which have restricted access.
• The premium viewing area, Bennett Auto Supply- Drop Zone is located from Sunrise Boulevard North to NE 14 Court. Tickets for this area start at $29 and can be purchased via the producer’s (B.Lilley Productions, LLC) website.
• The Family Zone, located South of Sunrise Boulevard, is the closest free admission viewing area to Show Center. Spectators will not be allowed to bring their own alcohol into the Family Zone. Alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase in the Family Zone.
To obtain more detailed information about these viewing locations and the available ticket options, visit the promoter’s website (http://lauderdaleairshow.com) or call 877-377-8499.